Tuesday, February 14, 2012

In Defence of Romance

I generally reserve that universal word of disgust-Eeeewwww!- for anything remotely mushy, corny, syrupy, gushy or overtly pink and red, which around this time of the year creates tons of misunderstandings. Just because I do not appreciate or expect red roses, door stopper sized diamonds or a box of corn syrup enriched chocolate kisses (yuck!) on the 14th day of the second month of every year does not make me unromantic.

Au contraire...I am quite the romantic at heart. I heart old school poems about lost love as well as new school poems about love that was never found. I heart the occasional Hugh Grant chick flick, though Casablanca is way overrated in my opinion. I find its black and white sentimentality rather tiresome.So in keeping with the cheesy theme of the season, here are ten of my favorite romantic movies. And before you point it out, yes, we know that the the first four happen to star Ralph Fiennes. In my defense, it was before he went and lopped of his lovely nose to play Voldemort in the Harry Potter movies.

1. The End of the Affair (1999)

2. The English Patient (1996)

3. Wuthering Heights (1992)

4.The Constant Gardener (2005)

5. Brokeback Mountain (2005)

6. Wall-E (2008)

7. Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind (2004)

8. Before Sunrise (1995) and Before Sunset (2004)..these do go together, you know.

9. The Painted Veil (2006)

10. (500) Days of Summer (2009) and High Fidelity (2000)...I could not decide which one to throw out so I kept them both.

PS: I am actually quite fond of flowers (hint, hint..if you ever need to bring me a gift) just not red roses. Ditto for the diamonds. I can appreciate jewelry and gems, but not really diamonds..they look sort of blah to me. And as far as chocolates go, I only like them when they come along with a scatter of fruits or nuts. Plain chocolate, however grand the packaging does not do it for me.


1 comment:

Joy Forever said...

Since you are a grad student now, you can try this approach on Valentine's.