Thursday, January 26, 2012

The One Where We Kill Off Remy

A few years back I ran over a squirrel on the way to work. And it was my birthday. I am yet to get over the the soft crunching noise of my wheels crushing the poor thing. I was miserable for weeks and at some point in the middle of moping I had the most illuminating thought - I could never be a mass murderer. If the death of a random squirrel upset me so much then think what.....so went the runaway train of my logic.

Fast forward to 2012. In our inept attempts to hide chocolate from the Gherkin we landed up forgetting a box in the closet under the staircase. Our lost chocolate was found by a rat and you know what they say about finders being keepers and all that.  When we finally found our chocolate or rather the leftovers, we cleaned up
(after the rat) and then argued. The Boy advocated a policy of peaceful coexistence (with said rat) while I insisted on squashing the living daylights out of the invading pest. Finally good sense prevailed and we laid out some rat traps. The Boy even baited the baits with some awesome Parrano cheese and we waited with bated breath.  Never mind that last bit, in reality we forgot about the bait till we heard a loud snap late one evening. The Boy went in and discovered a small, grey rat dead in the bait.  He was actually sort of cute looking, even though he ate all our chocolate. And now he was dead.

And then, after disposing off his remains in the trash the Boy declared that the rat looked like the one from the movie Ratatouille. It had the same blue grey eyes. Now, I was no ordinary rat killer, I was responsible for murdering Remy . I was miserable and just about to embark on a week of official moping when I realized that now there were the two of us. So what if we killed Remy, at least we are no danger to humanity at large and that my friends, is a wonderfully uplifting thought.

1 comment:

Joy Forever said...

Ah... I just laid my hands on that movie. Have to watch it over the weekend. So there is something to the story about rats and cheese after all! Or was that about mice...?