Thursday, December 22, 2011

2011

The semester is done with and my mother has gone to visit the younger sister. In between taking care of a snotty nosed, cantankerous Gherkin, I find myself obsessing about grades like I have never done before. And now that the year is drawing to an end, I might as well shift focus and ruminate on the year that went by.

The year began on a cold and dreary note with record amounts of snowfall (once again) and Pepco stood us up (once again) and people in this area forgot to drive and get off the roads on time (yes, once again!). As soon as we shoveled our way out of the snow and slush, the Gherkin and I set out to make new friends. We joined a mommy-baby yoga class and did we make friends or what? 2011 will be the year that we met all the other Silver Spring yoga moms and their babies and bonded over play dates. Hopefully in 2012 we will see more of that.

The summer was spent doing summer like things- a trip to North Carolina followed by a visit to Niagara Falls. At some point we decided to be responsible home owners and get our windows fixed and the front yard spruced up. We are yet to invest in a drill though.  A drill is what stands between us and that great deluge of tools that scream suburban homeowner. If we buy the drill today what is next... a lawnmower? a tile cutter? or may be even a chain saw? Luckily for us, we managed to get through another year without any of the above. (Pssst!..I have issues, in case you had not heard).  

This was an year of momentous growth - from sitting up, to crawling, to cruising and finally taking the first few unassisted steps. We sat back and watched awestruck as our little Gherkin accomplished all her milestones, while we coo-ed and encouraged from the stands. She is now discovering the amazing world of words (both spoken and written). Thanks to her, I can now recite the contents of these two books, backwards if need be.

I started grad school in September and my mother came to visit.  Sometime in between, the Gherkin, Grandma and I took a quick trip up to Boston to meet my uncle.  The rest of the months just dissolved in a haze of classes, mid terms and term projects.  And now I am writing about 2011 as the year that was. It was a good year, a healthy year and a happy one too.  As I contemplate the passage of time (of late, the years seem to pass by in a blink of an eye), my life and the people in my life...I feel extremely lucky and fervently hope that this streak of good luck continues into the new year.

2 comments:

Joy Forever said...

2011 was the year when I met the Gherkin for the first time. Wish you a very happy 2012. :)

Anyesha said...

Hopefully 2012 will be the year when the Gherkin drops by for a visit.