Friday, July 22, 2011

Roasted Tomato Soup with Poblanos

There is always space under the sun for one more tomato soup. So to honor the spirit of my tomato plants here is a roasted tomato soup loosely based on the Roasted Tomato Soup with Poblanos, Oregano and Fresh Cheese from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen.

I grilled eight medium sized plum tomatoes and two poblano peppers and then peeled the charred skin of the peppers and diced them. The tomatoes I pureed as is, with charred skin and all. If you want a smooth mouth feel feel free to peel the tomatoes. I am lazy and do not mind the extra fiber in my soup. While the veggies were grilling, I cooked down some onions and garlic with oregano and thyme in a pot. Into this pot I added the pureed tomatoes and water (I ran out of stock) and let it cook for 30 minutes. At the last minute, before serving I added the diced peppers and a handful of fresh cilantro.

Since we did not have any fresh cheese, we did the next best thing and slurped our soup with cheese sandwiches.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: