Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chicken Stock for the Soup

A couple of days ago, while reading this post on the web, it dawned on me that I had never made my own chicken stock. It had always seemed like such a chore with all the planning, simmering and straining involved when you can decent quality chicken stock, prepackaged at most stores. And here is a dirty little secret, I am not really sure whether stock really adds any "oomph" to a dish as compared to plain, old water. But that as they say is another controversy for another day. Today I am going to talk about stock and how I made my own along with two baggies worth of shredded chicken. It was the promise of shredded chicken at the end of it all that finally made me get off my sorry behind and put the soup pot on.

So I took four bone-in chicken thighs, a couple of carrots, some onion, some aromatics (spices, ginger, garlic, bay leaf, pepper corns...whatever) and covered it all with water and let it simmer. Once the chicken was cooked, I strained the liquid - that would be chicken stock, for you. Then I let the chicken cool down and then shredded it for adding to stir fries later. I gave the carrots to the baby who was happy to eat them and the rest of the stuff- well you just throw it.




No comments: