Monday, November 09, 2009

My Mom's Penicillin

I have been feeling slightly under the weather off late and craving the hot, brothy soup that was once a childhood comfort food. One phone call and a few minutes at the stove later, I now have a vat of my mom's tomato soup to chug my way through.

So if you are feeling the chill, take half a dozen medium sized tomatoes, a small onion, a knob of fresh ginger, a large clove of garlic (optional) and give the veggies a few nice hacks with your trusty knife. Add four to five cloves, a bay leaf or two and two cups of water to the veggies and pressure cook the heck out of them. Run the resulting pulpy mess through a sieve, season with salt and pepper, add a dollop of butter and enjoy. For a thicker consistency, gently reheat the soup with some cornstarch slurry.

4 comments:

Joy Forever said...

Sounds incredibly yummy. Have to try it sometime this week... after I have procured the tomatoes. Currently all my tomatoes have been converted to sweet chutney.

Madhurjya (Banjo) said...

or just use Knorr soups??? :) :)

VioletRayne said...

Why won't you like Aishwarya Rai? :)

cassie said...

yeah...that recipe sounds exactly like something i would make myself. huh. seeing as i'm feeling under the weather that could def. work for me. thanks man...