Monday, September 28, 2009

At Home

where smoke belching chimneys are nestled within green hills and roads names are strangely musical. Where childhood games revolved around matching industrial products with the local factory names...Timken, Tayo, Agrico.
where the early morning wake up caller has a tufted head and goes "tooey-too". Apparently the little one harbors an intense hatred for curtains. If not for them darned curtains, I would get a more personal wake up call...apparently!
where the festivities are for everyone - the people in town and for those across the river. Where the pujo bonus brings about an unheard of frenzy in the marketplace. It might not be the biggest or the flashiest, but there is still the prize winning jute work, the dhaanker saaj, the lights, the natoon sari, the dhunichi naach and para-r program...
the "aloo chaap from bangaal" at Ambagan and the fair at Sabuj Sangha.

2 comments:

Joy Forever said...

Aww... you make me sad! I don't know when I'll be able to see an Indian Puja again.

Ishan said...

I think you meant "daak'r saaj". The last one I saw in Calcutta was in '95 :(