Friday, May 11, 2007

Carrot Salad

This warm sald came about by accident...a rather propitious one at that. I wanted to make a Morrocan roasted beet salad from the May, 2007 issue of Gourmet. The same page also had the recipe for a braised carrot dish. I prepped all the ingredients for the beet salad and then realised that I had actually bought carrots instead of beets. But since I really wanted to make the Morrocan salad I just continued with the carrots. Come to think of it, carrots and beets are both sweetish root vegetables. I also substituted the plain vinegar for rice vinegar because I hate the harsh taste of plain vinegar and also because I am genetically programmed not to follow instructions. The end result, needless to say was quite blog worthy...hence this post.

So here's what I made:

Ingredients:
Carrots - 5 to 6 large, sliced at an angle
Cumin - 1 tbsps, dry roasted
Olive Oil - 2 tbsps
Rice Vinegar - 3-4 tbsps
Brown Sugar - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Black Pepper - 1 tbsp
Fresh Mint - a handful, finely chopped

Method:
1. Blanch your carrots to reduce the cooking time if your carrots are slightly tough. Powder the dry roasted cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle.
2. Heat oil in a skillet. Add the carrots and let them cook for 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with brown sugar and wait for it to caramelize.
3. Add the rice vinegar and roasted cumin powder. Season with salt and pepper and let the carrots cook through. Finally add the mint and take it off from the heat.

No comments: