Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Fitness Freak

Here is something that boggles my mind every time I walk by a certain room in the gym. It’s the dance studio like room, with mirrors on one wall and glass doors on the other. It’s the one with the shiny floor where a class load of women (and one or two men -this is important) hop, skip, jump and dance to the tune of some loud music. From the outside it always looks the same - a bunch of women working out and enjoying the whole ya-ya sisterhood vibe. On the inside it’s a fitness class. A fitness class is usually a short duration course with a healthy, pump-some-blood-into-your-heart name like Techno Jumping for a Healthy Life or Pilates for Fitness or Step Dancing Your Way to Skinniness etc. etc. For some reason it always draws gaggles of women (and one or two men –patience, we are building up to something here). The instructor is usually cute, the music peppy and the routine same – a kind of aerobic dancing* with props (a foam wedge, a ginormous ball, a shiny twirly object) thrown in for variety.

So what's so mind boggling about this? Well, here's what sends my brain into a gravity defying tizzy - the presence of that one man (sometimes two men) in a room that reeks of too much estrogen*. At the risk of sounding sexist, dude! jumping up, down and around a block of foam looks really funny if you are the lone guy in the class. And if you are dressed in diver Speedos …lets just leave it at that. You totally spoil the view for the guys casually walking by on the other side of the glass divide. Infact even the women on the other side wish you were not there. So why are you there? Are you that rare breed of secure manhood who really likes Pilates (who likes Pilates??) or are you there to befriend the women? Kindly enlighten.

*From my own experience (Vikram Yoga + Goddess Dancing!!) I learnt that none of the routines can be repeated in the absence of the high energy instructor or the music or the sauna like room which makes contorting so much easier. The quick succession of steps does not lend itself easily to learning for posterity either. I only went for one Yoga Class (on a whim with a friend) and the Goddess Dancing was way too estrogen laden for me to handle so I never signed up again.

3 comments:

bulbul said...

Hi Anyesha, Are you still doing Bikram yoga? What are your thoughts. One centre just opened up here and I have been contemplating adding it to my training (these 40+ joints need help) in preparation for my climb up Kilimanjaro next year.

Anyesha said...

bulbul: Hike up Kilimanjaro...wooo hoo! way to go woman. No I did not go back to the class as my friend who introduced me to it left the country. And no way was I going to trudge up to Dupont Circ.for it.Besides one cannot really do it without a class. I would highly recommend it though. It will be very good for adding flexibility and from what I remember every one in the class, except us was in the 35+ age group and had beautifully chiselled, healthy bodies (something only yoga can do). And another thing, because of the sauna like conditions I nearly fainted the first time, but never had any aching joints the next day. You should certainly give it a try.

Singh said...

Bikram Yoga! :O
Anyesha this is a totally new side of you...
As per the estrogen laden fitness instructor(s) being either the 'rare breed of secure manhood who really like Pilates' or 'interested in befriending women' - I can think of at least one more possibility...
...and sheesh I hope that first statement was an unintended pun ;)