Friday, September 08, 2006

There is Always a First Time

A few days ago, for the first time in my adult life, I dumped the entire contents of a warm pot into the trash. Yep!! my smelly tofu dinner disappeared right into the wide white caverns of the trash bin. Just because I used the word smelly does not mean it was rotten or anything, infact it was freshly made with itty, bitty, fluffy pieces of baked tofu, green beans and all other kinds of vegetarian goodness. The colors were perfectly balanced (yes I like my food color coordinated). But it smelt BAD!! The cup of bamboo shoots I emptied into the pot might have had something to do with it. Or it could be the strange mixture of vegetables in the pot or it could be the pot itself reacting with tofu...God knows. The end result was a smelly dinner which I tried to fix by adding random spice mixes. Nope still yucky! After some agonising moments I took the decision and with one flick of the wrist it was disposed off. In the past, I have always managed to either mitigate my culinary disasters or consume them without much harm to my internal organs. It has something to do with the fact that wasting food is frowned upon in my family and my Mom can conjure all sorts of images of starving babies if she were to spy even one wasted morsel on your plate. So I have to admit that it felt really good after the deed was done.

No comments: