Tuesday, August 15, 2006

So today is 15th of August and like the previous years I will do nothing about it. Yep, I am not very patriotic, at least not in the commonly understood way. I have attended only one flag hoisting ceremony in my lifetime and intend to keep it that way. My patriotism is closely linked to my idea of home and it makes me feel like boarding the next flight home whenever we drive by the Dulles International Airport. When festivals go by in the humdrum of daily existence without registering even a blip on my social calendar, I miss India. Now spare me the “Mera Bharat Mahan” e-mails and let me go about my business. And, if like me, you are sitting in the air conditioned comfort of your office in some first world country, stop for a moment and look up the word irony in the dictionary.

1 comment:

M (tread softly upon) said...

Sometimes reading your posts are like having someone read out my thoughts aloud.