Thursday, October 06, 2005

My name is Anyesha and I Abuse Spoons

There I said it. I use way too many spoons while cooking. So let’s say, you need to poke the last remnants of solidified coconut milk out of the can and into the bubbling broth on the range. Most people (culinary gods and goddesses included) will either subject the can to vigorous shaking or poke the congealed mass with their digits. Some folks (like me) might use a spoon to do the deed. But then how many of these inveterate spoon users will proceed to fling the instrument into the sink with utter callousness, only to realise the next moment that it could have been used to coax some tomato paste out of its jar? What makes this casual abuse of spoons even more pathetic is the fact that I have about 10 spoons of various sizes and once I am through with all the spoons, I start with the ladles and forks. And in between I even turn around and grab a salad plate or a soup bowl to pour out a sample (for tasting purposes) of whatever it is that I am cooking. So by the time I am done with cooking, my sink is usually overflowing.
My heart usually sinks at this stage at the sight of my sink (how punny!!); but it has nothing to do with the fact that I am overtly lazy. Just thinking of all the water that will be wasted and all the ground water contamination that might result from the liberal use of detergent is heartbreaking. I usually find myself resolving (over the dishes and spoons) to refrain from such casual spoon flinging in the future. But at my next cooking marathon I am back at it with renewed gusto. I need help!!!!

8 comments:

Ayush said...

and that is why we need a "spoon rest". By virtue of being there right on the stove top, the wonderful spoon-rest offers itself up for resting your spoons and ladles. Thus, when you reach for that can of tomato sauce, instead of using a new spoon you can use the old spoon (and since it is rested, you are not even overworking the spoon) .. cool isn' it?

SPCS - Soc. for Prevention of Cruelty to Spoons

Anyesha said...

Ayush: Will the SCPS sponsor a ceramic spoon rest for a disturbed chronic spoon abuser?

Abilin Mukherjee said...

well just keep them away from hands reach so that you need to actually walk to get them! that should do the trick... and I know about the water wasting bit... rajdhani is not blessed with lots a water

Sagnik Nandy said...

excellent topic - so mundane yet so pertinent. i used to have the many spoon problem but then now i have the reverse problem where i use the same spoon for everything - as a result there is ginger paste in the yoghurt, garlic powder in the diced tomatoes, and chicken broth in the can of peas - makes way for novel dishes :))

Euphoric Dreamer said...

spoon are very useful *lol*!

Anyesha said...

Abilin: That does not really work in a small size kitchen.I would have to keep my spoons in the bedroom if I really need them out of reach, which presents an unique set of problems too!!

Sagnik: The one spoon in everything syndrome has been my excuse for so long, but now i am really rethinking.

Euphoric dreamz: What other uses did you have nay in mind dear....do enlighten us.

Ishan said...

I love licking the spoon clean in between poking it into something new :)

Anyesha said...

Ishan: Yewwww!! You totally did not say that dude.