Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Just Because There is A Goalkeeper...

I have used this to cheer up many a sad friend in need of some TLC. Everytime I used it, it worked like a charm and the person on the recieving end would go back to the wooing with renewed vigor...the end results of the wooing have been mixed though.

These pearls of wisdom were apparently gleaned by some studious fellow student from Tanki. Tanki was not his real name. His parents I believe named him Vikas Tank, but his students decided Tanki or Tanky or Tankee (you get the idea) was more fun. This was back in the days when most parents wanted their children to go for these horrible tuitions which were supposed to be your passport to the IIT's. Well if not the IIT's then atleast some other engineering school in the country. And Tanki was (and I belive still is) the leading light in this noble venture of guiding hapless students towards the light at the end of the tunnel, that portal to life with an engineering degree. The fact that he had walked the walk himself made him far more respectable than the average college proffesor giving "IIT Coaching". From our point of view he was perfect - the right mix of youth, brains and discpline. Fortunately for me I did not last long there and my parents were more than happy to see their daughter happy and smiling and enjoying life once more. Being a girl with obviously less than average intellect I was not sorely missed at the tuitions either. I got through school and did well enough for myself in an engineering college in the middle of the desert and now suddenly after years I come across this.

"Sir,I never figured out who in their right minds would connect so many pulleys together or which sadist would want to CAM about ICOR ( for the uninitiated this means Conserve Angular Momentum about the Instantaneous Center of Rotation) for half a dozen rotating discs placed on top of each other. In retrospect it did not matter then and it does not matter now. But I do remember fondly that little piece of advice you passed on and I have to admit that a part of me wants to believe that the two guys overheard passing this remark picked it up at the same place I picked it up."

5 comments:

Sagnik Nandy said...

profound! :)

Amlan said...

I must say that I picked this "piece of wisdom" from you Anyesha and have duely passed it onto many-a-hapless soul!!! Its interesting to know where it all came from!!!!

rash said...

You had to go through the Tanki ordeal as well?!?! Me too... I lasted barely a month though and after that gave up on the very thought of IIT or even engineering :)

Anyesha said...

sagnik: yeah I know. Profundity is one thing you don't go looking for in your local IIT coaching center for sure!!

amlan: I have to admit that I have stopped doling out this peice of advice after some people took it way too seriously.

rash: Wonder how many of us are there...I mean the one's who left half way through.I for one was really thankful that I did not continue with those dreadful tuitions. More than Tanki I hated the atmosphere there.

Paritosh said...

Hey, don't know you (and am pretty sure you don't know me) but the connection between us, and countless others, is tanki :-) I was one of the fortunate ones to get thru an IIT (IITB it was) and pass out of that place successfully too. But, i'm sure it's no wonder, that I too use this piece of wisdom to buck up my friends :-)