Saturday, August 06, 2005

He has Discovered What Women Really Want...

This really handsome dude on TV has figured out what women really dig (my dear clueless readers prepare to be dazzled)....the answer is Genital Herpes (GH). See I have gone ahead and increased my chances of ensnaring those not so innocent wanderers (looking for cures for warts) in cyberspace to my little humble hut!! Anyways I watched amused as this fellow went on and on about how he has GH but it does not stop him from having a life (all the while a petite member of the opposite sex kept wrapping herself around him...hmmm that thing that he has must be really good if she wants it that bad). If I remember correctly the ad also had the obligatory cute dog which left me feeling really down in the dumps about my life. Like the wise old lady who met Harry-Who-Kept-Meeting-Sally, I think I will order some of what he has....yes, Yes, YES !, I need what he has and then maybe I will have a picture postcard life too with a dog and a house on the beach and lovely sunsets and sunrises ..ooh I need to stop.

5 comments:

Amlan said...

You want GH? Goodness!!!

Anyesha said...

See its this catch 22 situation...the box says "Your life will never be the same again"(I just can't get that cute dog off my mind)in pink on a bright blue label and underneath there in black miniscule lettering it says "Side Effects might include nausea,....(fill in all the uglies and nasties you can think of) and death".
Joking aside...I was just ranting against these ads...who are they kidding or do they really want people to get these diseases because their sales are down!!!

sinusoidally said...

I think the idea is if one has GH or any other STD for that matter, there exists a treatment! Imagine a scenario where a person may have been infected by a cheating spouse, or raped by a person with syphillis, or accidentally stuck by an IV needle of a person who has these diseases or may have received a blood transfusion that somehow missed the testing protocol. I have seen all such scenarios in health care workers/providers in my everyday work life. The psychological impact of finding out that one has STD is immense and even warrants a psych consult. There is nothing wrong with seeing a commercial that gives them hope of having a life that is happy and close to normal!

Anyesha said...

sinusoidally: Thanks for stopping by. As you said the idea here is to announce the existence of a cure…unfortunately for most STD’s it not even a cure but more like a medication to suppress the symptoms. I also agree with the harsh realities you mention. But then these ads are aired on prime channels, where it’s watched by impressionable teenagers and middle ages perverts alike. In its attempts to paint a bright and hopeful picture the advertisement becomes an endorsement for the disease. The person with GH might watch the said ad and consult his doctor and together they might find a medication which works. But for those without…all it says is “don’t worry if you get it, look you will still lead a better life (heck that model is shown to be leading a better than normal life!) because we have the cure”. I feel it trivializes the disease to a point that we now have this strange group of freaks called “bug chasers” in this country. Wouldn’t a subliminal message on the benefits of practicing safe sex be more socially responsible? That was the point I was trying to allude to through my lighthearted post and that is the reason I find these ads so irksome.

Ayoye said...

I did not have time to read your intire blog, so please forgive me, but I wanted to take the opportunity to invite you to look at mine for a way to better manage our unwanted goods using these services auction direct encan and others like auction direct encan, thanks for reading me